Jun 30 , 2019
Good evening everyone!
As we come down from the weekend, I was feeling something hearty and filling so today Fox and I made meatless meatballs in a brown gravy sauce with mixed veggies.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 4 servings
1/2 bag of meatless meatballs (Gardein, Amy's or 365 Everyday Value)
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chopped white onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 cup Merlot or another spicy red wine
2 tablespoons tamari
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons whole wheat or spelt flour
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons scallions to top
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, bring 1/4 cup of broth to a simmer.
2. Add in the meatless meatballs, onion, garlic and peppers and cook for about 4 minutes or until translucent.
3. Stir in the mushrooms, thyme and rosemary and continue to cook for about 2 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid and start to become tender.
4. Add wine and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in remaining 3 cups of broth and bring to a simmer.
6. While the mix is simmering, whisk together tamari, yeast and flour in a small bowl to form a thick paste.
7. Add mixture to skillet about 1 teaspoon at a time, whisking constantly to make sure paste dissolves.
8. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
I served this dish with spinach and kale mixed into cauliflower rice. It pairs well over whole grains or mashed potatoes. You can also add your favorite beans and greens for a hearty ragout.
*NOTE* I also added ginger, trying to get over a cold and who doesn't love the taste of ginger...?