Oct 29 , 2019
Feeling for something sweet but don't want to feel guilty? This apple crumb is tasty AND healthy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: 20 servings
For Filling -
8 medium-large apples (4 Granny Smith for tartness and 4 Honey Crisp for sweetness)
1 lemon, juiced
2/3 cup coconut sugar or cane sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
3 tablespoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch
1/4 cup fresh apple juice or water
3/4 tsp fresh grated
1 pinch nutmeg
For Topping -
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar or cane sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans (roughly chopped)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil (or mix the two 1/2, 1/2)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel apples, quarter, remove cores, and use a paring knife to thinly slice lengthwise.
3. Add to a large mixing bowl and top with remaining filling ingredients. Toss to combine. Add to a 9x13 baking dish.
4. Rinse and wipe out your mixing bowl and add all topping ingredients. Stir to combine. Pour mix over apples in an even layer.
5. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour (uncovered) or until the filling is bubbly, the apples are very fork tender (especially in the center of the dish), and the topping is deep golden brown.
6. Let rest at least 30 minutes before serving.
This is delicious with coconut whipped cream or vanilla bean coconut ice cream.