Pet Safety Alert: The Dangers of Blue-Green Algae and How to Spot it

Pet Safety Alert: The Dangers of Blue-Green Algae and How to Spot it

Sep 07 , 2019

According to the ASPCA and numerous news reports concerning the surface of the blue-green algae intoxication in pets, it is important to realize and understand the severity of the threat these toxins can pose to animals and how easy it is to overlook. During the current rise in blue-green algae, we want to make sure you have everything you need to know to keep your pet safe.

Blue-green algae thrives in bodies of fresh water and the increase of the toxic algae is caused by warm weather when it is over 75 degrees and sunny. These organisms are incredibly toxic and are known to cause poisoning in all animal life. Dogs, cats, livestock, wildlife, birds, fish and humans can be get sick by ingesting water that might be affected. 

So how can someone know if the water is safe? Water containing toxic algae will often look green and murky, almost like there is a layer of slime on the surface.

 

Animals can get sick from this algae by drinking or even swimming in contaminated water sources. These toxins can cause severe neurological and liver damage. If your dog has any of the following symptoms, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.

Symptoms can include seizures, panting, excessive drooling, respiratory failure, diarrhea, disorientation and vomiting. 

Parents of pets! Please keep yourself and your pets safe by keeping them away from the water if you see any signs of this deadly algae.

1 Comments

Jessica Pisano


1 Comments

  • September 14, 2019

    Jimie Gibbon

    Thank you for sharing 🙏❣


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published